Measuring distance on Google Maps is just as easy as getting directions on your phone or computer.
Even though the directions feature lets you find out how far away your destination is, it doesn’t tell you the distance between point A and point B.
You can use the Google Maps distance calculator on Android and iPhone, as well as on the desktop version of the program.
It’s worth noting that you can’t use Google Maps in Lite mode or on a mobile web browser to calculate the distance between two points on the map.
Here’s what you need to know to measure the distance between two or more points in Google Maps.
How to Measure Distance on Google Maps on a Computer
Instead of guesstimating the distance between two points using the scale reference on the desktop version, you can use the “Measure Distance” feature in Google Maps to get a more specific and accurate calculation. Here’s how it works:
1. Open your favorite web browser and go to maps.google.com.
2. Zoom in to your desired place. This will be the starting point of the distance you want to measure.
3. Right-click the starting point and then click on “Measure distance.”
4. Click on the second location or ending point to trace the path you want to measure. This will create a line from the starting point to the ending point, and it will show you the distance between the two in both miles and kilometers.
5. Additionally, you can drag a point to change it or click to remove it. However, this step is optional so you can skip it if you like.
6. You also have the option to calculate the distance between multiple points. Simply click anywhere on the map to add another point. You can add as many points as you want.
Google Maps will create a black line that shows you the distance between each point. If you’re measuring the distance between more than two points, the total distance will be displayed in the pop-up window at the bottom of the screen.
You can follow this same process to measure walking, biking, hiking, and running trails. However, if you’re measuring trails, keep in mind that you’ll have to follow the path along the trail and click on every curve to place markers in order to get an accurate measurement.
How to Measure Distance on Google Maps on Android and iPhone
The “Measure distance” feature works the same on both Android and iOS devices. Open the Google Maps app and follow the steps below:
1. Search for the location where you want to start your measurement.
2. Tap and hold on your desired location until a red pin appears.
3. Tap the name of the place at the bottom of your screen.
4. Scroll down and tap on the “Measure distance” option.
5. When the second point appears, move the map so the crosshairs, or black circle, is on the next point. To put it simply, just drag the screen around to place the second point where you really want it to be.
6. When the second point is where you want to it to be, tap “Add” at the bottom right of the screen.
7. Repeat this same process to add as many points as you want until you’re done.
To delete the last point you added, tap the Undo button at the top of the screen. To clear all points and start over completely, tap on the ellipses button, and then select “Clear.”
The total distance will be displayed at the bottom of the screen, just like in the desktop version of Google Maps.